Thursday, January 10, 2008

Currently Listening to: France Gall
"poupee de cire, poupee de son"


The past few days I have been going to work 4 hours earlier just so I can get some experience behind the camera. I'm not getting paid for those hours, but in the end I think it will be worth it. On Friday I was actually given my first assignment. My job was to go out and shoot first weather for our newscast.

Soon I was off. I went with Jordan our reporter Jamie down to city hall. While they went off to interview some guy about some rail-yard business, I went across the street to shoot weather at a park. Everything went well until I was leaving.... As I was having trouble with a tripod, this bum ran up to me and started telling me that I was filming him and asking who I was all aggressive like. I don't have a badge like all the other photogs since I'm only a production assistant, so I don't really look legit (although I have a $20,000) camera around my neck. Since I'm all new to the whole business of things I showed him a different work I.D. he quickly snatched that from my hand and ran off with it.

Fuck.

I didn't really know what to do, So I headed back city hall to meet up with Jordan and Jamie. Later on we went and ate over at Paesano's and then to grab a SOT and VO of a local bar that got broken into. Afterwards we went to a gas station so I can get some VO of a gas prices and whatnot. Immediately as I got out of the car, this bum came straight towards me and started talking his nonsense to me. I look back to the jeep and all I see is Jamie and Jordan laughing at me. What the hell is with with bums and me? I now have the nickname "Bum Whisperer"

....

Thanks Jordan...

Today I went out skating with a bunch of friends and took some photos (film). Hopefully I can go to a darkroom soon and develop them.

2 comments:

Lenslinger said...

Accosted by a transient while hoisting a lens?

Dude, you're a photog...

(I'd have that checked if I were you.)

Anonymous said...

Just so you know...you don't have to explain yourself to bums...let alone brandish an ID. Just tell them to go away or you'll call the cops. That usually get's em running pretty damn quick.